Monday, November 8, 2010

Sydney Fish Market

On a sunny day at the Sydney Fish Market, "the largest market of its kind in the southern hemisphere", throngs of people are lining up to buy fish: sashimi sliced wafer thin with very, very sharp knives; oysters; and enormous platters of fried, battered, steamed or sautéed delicacies. The market has a laudable approach to sustainability, but looking at the beautiful and varied fish on sale here, I couldn't help wondering how long it will even be possible to buy fish in this way (14,500 tonnes of seafood are traded here every year).






























2 comments:

  1. So much drool over that fresh seafood platter! Looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was - that was my lunch. People were walking by me with the most astonishingly huge plates full of calamari, whitebait, squid and battered fish. And chips. I managed to resist - I am already ballooning thanks to this blog!

    ReplyDelete