Sunday, October 31, 2010

Cabramatta – People

Cabramatta is a suburb in Sydney's south-west which is also known as "Little Asia". As a settlement, it dates back to 1795. There was a surge of immigration from south-east Asia, particularly Vietnam, in the 1980s; according to the 2006 census the languages spoken at home by residents of "Cabra" were Vietnamese (34%), Cantonese (15%), English (11%) and Thai (10.6%), with Khmer, Laotian and Mandarin also spoken. I was there for three hours and took so many photos that I will have to depart from the place a day concept to show all of them. Today: the people working in the stores, selling gewgaws on the pavement, eating in the restaurants or strolling the high street.

















4 comments:

  1. Great pictures. I'm so keen to check out Cabramatta for Yum Cha asap. I love the picture of the older lady eating with her chopsticks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pictures - they really capture the feel of the place. I agree with MelbaToast, the one of the older lady eating with her chopsticks is excellent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both. I like to take pictures of people unawares, though I try not to abuse that - because I am conscious of not intruding on people's privacy these pictures tend to be snatched so I'm glad you like them.

    We went for a Chinese-Vietnamese restaurant, MelbaToast - watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo - yummy! Looking forward to that post!

    ReplyDelete